Site designed by
Hafod y Gwynt gardens and lake
The extensive gardens contain streams and ponds, with local slate paths. The house draws its water supply from the steam at the top end of the garden. A portable barbecue is available on request.
We are supporting the Woodland Trust by creating a GORPHWYSFA COPSE, as part of the 2012 Jubilee Year celebrations, on land opposite the Pen y Gwryd, set back from the road and not obscuring any views.
The lake in the grounds is known as Llyn Lockwood - sometimes Llyn Gwryd - and it was constructed purely for fishing. Arthur Lockwood was the manager of the Cwm Dyli power station shortly after it opened in 1906, and in 1921 he purchased the Pen y Gwryd Hotel.
Scenes from the tree planting Pictures courtesy of Tony Rankin
Following difficult negotiations with the landowner Sir Richard Bulkley, he secured agreement to create the lake opposite Hafod y Gwynt. Tramps, friends and casual labour were employed to build the dam, which was finished in 1927.
All sorts of material was used in the dam, including parts of a German submarine which had surrendered at the end of First World War, and was being dismantled in Porthmadog harbour. Bulkley kept the mineral rights to the land, and insisted on a drainage valve being installed in the dam.
The lake froze over that first winter and proved popular with guests as a skating rink; even students came from Bangor university to skate on it, Lockwood offered a shilling to anyone who could ride a bike across without falling.
To begin with there were problems with sphagnum moss lifting to the surface due to methane gas, which also killed some of the trout. Lockwood solved the problem by gathering the floating islands together and forming some permanent ones near the west shore which he secured to the lake bed.
In 1946 Lockwood received a grant of £50 from the River Board to set up a trout hatchery at the back of Hafod y Gwynt. This ensured that the lake was well stocked with trout, as well as the native brown trout which travel up the Gwryd, and down from Cwmfynnon.